So, I've decided to compose a list of the top 10 in expensive ways to keep warm this winter, since it's only the beginning. If your house spends the day at less than 50F (10C), try some of these ideas!
10. Drive your car to a really sunny place and park there for awhile. Bring a good book, even your computer...but keep an eye out for carjackers!
9. Go to the shopping centre (mall). It's always warmer there. The shops might even have heating! At least they don't have windows. And, the cappuccinos there are wonderful!
8. Layer, layer, layer! Wear 3 pair of socks, thermal underwear, at least 3 long sleeve shirts, a sweater (jersey), gloves and a hat!
7. Wear your pajamas all day (with a robe) or wear your clothes to bed that night. That way you only have to change clothes once a day!
6. Take a hot shower for an hour! But, expect your family to be upset that you've used up all the hot water! And, get ready for a blast of cold when you get out.
5. Wrap up in blankets. Don't forget your hot water bottle. When it cools, you can recycle the water; heat it up again!
4. Go to the gym. Work hard, get hot, sweat. At least you'll be warm for 30 min to an hour!
3. Drink hot tea all day long. Eat soup for lunch and dinner. You may want to keep a small heater going in the bathroom (loo) because you will spend a lot of time in there!
2. Snuggies are in style in Joburg! They are no laughing matter. Use it!
1. Go visit a friend. Their house will be warmer than yours! And, it's always fun to drink tea with a friend.
In case it seems like I'm bellyaching too much, here are 3 things I love about winter in Joburg.
3. You don't sweat! So you can take less showers and you can wear clothes more than one day before washing!
2. Hot tea and soup. I love them. I love normal black tea, rooibos tea, flavored tea. My favorite is (ok, it sounds weird, but it's delicious) grapefruit and lavender!
1. The clear, cloudless blue sky. The bright sunshine! Winter in Joburg is beautiful!
Whatever the season where you are, enjoy it! God created the seasons and they are to be enjoyed!