Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Fire!

I finally got my towels washed this week! Actually, I washed them yesterday! After they finished washing, I decided (as I normally do) to hang them up on the line outside to dry. Joburg has perfect weather for hanging clothes out to dry: sunny and low humidity. But, when I went outside to hang the towels, my lungs filled with smoke! The smell was aweful! Josh, my 4 year old, was holding his nose, asking, "What is that smell, Mommy. It stinks!"
What was that smell? A "veld fire." What is a "veld fire?" Well, it is a field on fire! During May and June, veld fires are an all too common experience around Joburg and other areas of South Africa. Because the weather is so dry during the winter, many grassy areas are set on fire to prevent "accidental" burns that could get out of control. Also, burnings help replenish the ground and kill insects , so the grass usually grows back greener when the rains come in late September or October.
Needless to say, the towels didn't get hung up that day! In fact, I forgot all about them in the wash and had to rewash them and hang them today!
Ruth Anne, my daughter in grade 7, came home with a graded exam from her Natural Science class. She had missed the question, "South Africa has four distinct seasons" by answering "false." So, that means the teacher thought it was true...South Africa has four distinct seasons! Well, I love South Africa, but I had to break it to them. They do NOT have four "distinct" seasons. Maybe two...warm and cold. However, I will give them credit; they do have some trees whose leaves change color and fall when the weather becomes cold. And, I might give them credit for another season..."veld fire" season!

1 comment:

Bonnie G. said...

Oh, the lovely smell of veld fires... I can almost smell it now... Wait, why would I want to do that!? I'll stop reminiscing now. I hope there won't be any fires in my neighborhood since it's in the city! I'm so glad you're blogging (and keeping on me about mine). It helps me feel like I'm still keeping up with you all! Oh, and I WISH the floors in the pictures were mine... the pictures were from the furniture's current home. I'm waiting till I can borrow a truck to move it to my tiny little home. :) I can't wait till you guys come to Durham and you can come visit. You'll come visit, right!? :) Miss you all...