Thursday, February 19, 2009

Trust in the Lord


Within the last two weeks, four very close neighbors were robbed.  Two weeks ago tonight, the two houses directly across the street from us were robbed.  Three nights ago, the neighbor two houses down from us was robbed, then the next night, the house next door was robbed!  All were robbed in the middle of the night while the families were at home sleeping!
Needless to say, I was very nervous about going to sleep last night after our next door neighbor's house was broken into.  I wrote about it on Facebook.  I had several people pray for our safety.  I do appreciate it so much.
But this morning, I read Psalm 33 for my quiet time.  This is what I read when I got to verses 16 & 17, "The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.  The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue."  
Wow!  I began to think, "What am I putting my trust and hope in?"  I put up a picture of our house so you can see how I changed the words of this psalm to fit what I was thinking.
This is what I wrote.  "This wife is not saved by my strong husband next to me; this mom is not delivered by the strong bars on the windows.  The palisade fence is false hope for this family's salvation, and the guns of the security company cannot rescue."  Verse 18 concludes, "Behold the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine."
We did find someone who is going to put brighter lights around our house and add security bars to windows that don't have them.  I called the security company to learn how to leave one motion detector on in the house at night.  Yes, I was putting my trust in people, iron and technology.  But ultimately, if robbers want in, they can get in.  I need to trust in the LORD my God, who is my refuge and shield and strength...and get a good night sleep!
May His name be glorified!
JK

1 comment:

Bobby and Brooke said...

I prayed for you and your safety, but I see that God was already working in you and giving you the peace that you needed. What an amazing way to adapt that verse so it truly applies to you and your life. I appreciated this post!