Friday, July 17, 2009

Spa Day

Feeling like home...
Last Thursday, 8 women from our church went to an African spa.  Ok...it was "buy one get one free" day...so we couldn't pass that up!
It started out with a light breakfast and coffee.  They we enjoyed 3 "treatments."  We had a facial, body scrub and jacuzzi.  After lunch, we received a hand treatment, full-body massage, foot treatment and head/neck massage.  It was an amazing day.
But, as amazing as all 7 treatments were, the best was spending time with friends.  We chatted and laughed the whole day.  On the way home, I made the comment that, except for Texas, I've lived in Joburg the longest.  One of my friends then asked me, "What place feels like home?"  I answered that in the last two years, Joburg really felt like home.  Being a part of a wonderful church family, having great neighbors, and getting to really know people you see regularly (like those at the stables) is what makes this country feel like home.
I do miss family.  I do miss friends in NC.  But I am so grateful that God has blessed me with friends here and a family of co-workers!
BTW - no pictures were taken at the spa (for obvious reasons)!!

JK

1 comment:

Bonnie G. said...

I'm happy to hear that South Africa feels like "home." :) I still think that the #1 reason I loved SA so much (and still miss it to this day) was because I worked so hard at making South African friendships and then got involved with Northcliff Union Church. my friends there helped me not feel so much like an American living on foreign soil... they helped me feel "normal." OF COURSE the team made it wonderful too, but without South African relationships, it's near impossible to feel at home in South Africa (makes sense, right?). :) So glad you had a fun day to spoil yourself!!