Thursday, August 28, 2008

Subject Choice??

Tonight was a parents' meeting at Ruth Anne's school.  It is time for the grade 9 students to make their subject choices for the rest of their high school career.  Choose subjects?  Is that like art, drama, typing, home ec, band, etc.  Uh...not exactly.   It is not choosing electives (like in the U.S.)  The students must choose three additional subjects to Maths, Afrikaans, English and Life Orientation.  And, these subjects are not easy!  They can choose from Accounting, Art, Geography (not maps), Business Ed, Biology, Physical Science and History.  When they make their choices, they will have these classes from grade 10 to grade 12.
Ruth Anne will add Geography, Biology and Physical Science to her schedule.  She is excited about those choices, but other students are really struggling to decide.  In many cases, for students continuing there education at a university in South Africa, these choices will determine what you can and cannot study at university.  It can be a huge decision for many students.
Overall, I like the way school is done in South Africa.  But it has been a big mental adjustment for me, coming from U.S. schooling.
Ok...I said above that Geography was not maps.  Well, it's not all maps.  They do some, but more like topographical maps.  It also involves studying atmospheric maps and phenomenas and the weather!  Students study earth's formations, like geology.  And they will study human resources.  It is one class I would definitely choose!  I love rocks and weather!
What classes would you choose??
Blessings,
JK

3 comments:

Tracey Taylor said...

Bio, Phy Science (duh, I love any science- yes I am a nerd) and History. How fun for her to get to choose. Miss ya'll ;)

Angie said...

SO confusing!!! I'm so glad you are so smart and can figure it out! Makes me glad we moved to Moz and avoided all that.

Melissa said...

I would have chosen History! Mainly because I taught it there :-) Unfortunantly, you can't take Physical Science and History together :-(