Thursday, February 07, 2008

My Friend


My Friend, Blandinah and her son, Emmanuel


This is my friend, Blandinah. We met at her wedding! We were invited to the wedding by her husband, Pastor Aaron. They were married in a village about 4 hours from Joburg. The wedding lasted 2 days! Sunday night, after the last celebration, we gave them a lift back to Joburg. Blandinah had never been to Joburg! About an hour outside their village, she fell asleep and only woke up at her house in Joburg.

Imagine...being in a small town then waking up to a city of 9 million people! What a shock, I'm sure!

Over the first year of their marriage, Blandinah and I became good friends. She fell pregnant and our family was so excited about the baby.

But...she left Joburg to go back to the village before Emmanuel was born. In their culture, the wife returns to the village to stay with the mother-in-law in order to learn how to care for the baby! Ok...think about it...going to live with your mother-in-law...for months...to learn about caring for babies! For some people, that is quite scary! For some, it may be more scary to go to your own mother!

Anyway...Blandinah returned to Joburg. Emmanuel was precious and we enjoyed spoiling him!

After a few months, Blandinah returned to the village. She returned to take care of her mother-in-law. Wow! I still have a hard time with that part of their culture. Didn't she need to be with her husband? Didn't he need to spend time with his son?

However, I recently found out that she was not only caring for Aaron's mother, but she was finishing high school. I am very excited for her.

She came back to Joburg during the Christmas/Summer holiday. It was good to visit and see her again.

She is leaving tomorrow to go back to the village. This is her last year of high school. After this year, if she passes all her exams, she will have her degree and will return to Joburg to stay! I am so glad she is determined to finish. I know it must be difficult having a husband and baby and needing to study. I am sure she will do well.

But I will miss my friend.

Blessings, Blandinah. I pray that the Lord will help you understand and remember the information you study and help you recall that information when you take exams.

Janna Kay

1 comment:

Angie said...

Is that who gave you the white mountain goat?