Saturday, February 16, 2008

Necessity or Luxury?

A computer...many would consider it a luxury...especially here in South Africa. Many only have a computer through work. Some have one at home, but don't have internet access; and if they do, it's usually dial-up (which is charged per minute). There are few with ADSL like we have. Schools don't require children to use a computer for school work.
Each Monday, our team meets for prayer. The other missionary family on our team was having problems with a computer, laptop, they just bought. Out of the two weeks they've had the computer, it's spent a week in the shop. And it still wasn't right. So I prayed for them as they faced the frustration of a broken computer...new computer...and their meeting with the technicians. I even thought then, it may be a "luxury" but as a missionary, it really has become a necessity.
We use it to communicate with family and friends in the States. We send out prayer updates so our prayer partners know how to pray for us. We communicate with other missionaries and our bosses! We have many forms for our organization to fill out on the computer and send in using the internet.
I think if you ask anyone in the States, computers are a necessity...but could we get along without it? Yes, we used to...a long, long, time ago. I taught computers for a couple of years while living in Virginia. I saw a student of mine about 10 years after she had been in my class. She told me she remembered me talking about the internet and how we would use it to send messages and letters to people by computers. She said she thought that was the dumbest thing she had ever heard! Now look where we are today. We hardly send letters by mail anymore. We use the mail to get packages of things we bought over the internet!
So...has the computer become a necessity? Or is it a luxury? A need? Or a want?
Well...Monday, after our prayer meeting, I came home, went over to my computer to check email. When I touched it...the screen turned blue with a large error message in white. It said to restart the computer. When I did, it wouldn't restart. A file was missing! Oh, no! I take it to the shop. The diagnosis...my new hard drive (6 months old) has crashed! And only some of my information could be retrieved. Now I'm using my daughter's computer until I can get a new one!
My answer? A computer is definitely a necessity...otherwise...how could I post this message on my blog!
Janna Kay

1 comment:

Angie said...

Bummer! I can sympathize - our desk top died a couple of months ago. Now we share Charlie's laptop. This is really hard! It's hard for me to justify sitting here updating my blog or reading blogs when he has ASR numbers to compile and work emails to read and write!!!